Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cutting into the cheeses

There's nothing as satisfying in cheesemaking as cutting into a new cheese, especially one that I've never made before, and finding it good.  This week, I had two satisfactions--a Gruyere and a Roqueforti Dulce.  Two more different cheeses would be hard to find, but oh!  how good they both were!  My family and neighbors, who are my testers, waxed eloquent over them.

The Gruyere--which I had actually made with the wrong thermophilic culture--was nutty flavored, full of tiny holes, and aged perfectly.  The Roqueforti Dulce was smooth, creamy, and mild, though full of blue cheese flavor.

I have several more cheeses coming due soon. I'll report back when I make the final cut.

 "Gruyere B", already on its way to extinction.

Soft, smooth, and creamy Gorgonzola Dolce






2 comments:

  1. Your cheeses look awesome! I've been going through your cheese blog, love it. I love that you post such great pictures and that you are willing to share your experiences with making cheese. I'm just learning and would love to have a source of fresh milk, goat or cow! But at my stage of life, I'm not sure I can handle more animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a source for raw milk. Check www.realmilk.com. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete